The big story this week, of course, was the death of Osama bin Laden. The most interesting part for the purposes of this class, I think, is how the story was disseminated. It turns out Twitter played a big role. As the New York Times’s Brian Stelter reported, word first leaked out on Twitter. Even more interesting, is that the US raid on bin Laden’s compound was unwittingly live-tweeted by a man who had lives in the neighborhood and wondered why there were helicopters flying in a 1:00 a.m. Mark Glaser’s MediaShift shows how quickly the word spread.
Comms 239This is the course site for Communications 239, Principles of Journalism, required of all students before applying to the journalism program at Brigham Young University.
- White House purge: ‘I’m going to fire everybody,’ says Scaramucci washingtonpost.com/news/post-poli… https://t.co/jDFcNYpfgL 6 hours ago
- RT @atDavidHoffman: McCain is a coward. Just voted to take health care from 22 million. Same health care he is using to battle cancer. @Sen… 6 hours ago
- RT @shannonrwatts: 4) THEY PUT MILLIONS OF AMERICANS' LIVES IN JEOPARDY. AMERICANS WILL DIE because rich white guys want a tax break. 7 hours ago
- RT @CivilRightsCntr: Emmett Till sign rededicated on what would have been his 76th birthday clarionledger.com/story/news/loc… 7 hours ago
- RT @MotherJones: Trump Gave a Horrifying, Politicized Speech at the Boy Scouts Jamboree. Read Why This Matters. mojo.ly/2tGRmhM htt… 7 hours ago
- RT @dick_nixon: Trump's daughter offered Mrs. McCain an ambassadorship. I'm sure it's unrelated. 7 hours ago
- RT @thehill: Ex-CIA chief: Trump’s Boy Scout speech felt like "third world authoritarian's youth rally" hill.cm/8N1Sumz https://t.c… 7 hours ago
- RT @JamesFallows: There it goes. McCain makes his choice. The wrong one. Flies back from the hospital, to vote yes on a “bill” that does… 7 hours ago